|Patrick Kane doing his best Vancouver Canucks impression. Something like that.|
Another All-Star weekend is in the books. This year's festivities in Ottawa concluded last night with the All-Star Game exhibition. Although many hockey fans claim that they don't really care about the All-Star Game, most die-hard hockey fans watch it anyway. Since you're reading this, you probably watched at least part of the weekend, so here's a recap in case you missed any of it.
- Carey Price knelt in his crease, Tebow-style and then turned his back to the shooter in the breakaway competition. This is also known as "Steve Mason-syndrome."
- Patrick Kane's Superman cape was the highlight of his career, based on goals scored on goalies other than Michael Leighton.
- The car Logan Couture won for being picked last in the All-Star draft was the second fastest machine in Ottawa during the weekend to Zdeno Chara's slapshot.
- The arena security had trouble identifying Scott Gomez at the gate, so they didn't let him into the building.
- The league announced that the 2013 All-Star Game will be held in Columbus, where Jeff Carter will inevitably make his return to Columbus.
- At Gary Bettman's press conference, he spoke about the Phoenix Coyotes' situation. He also pointed out that it is a growing fan base. This season, only 96% of tickets they sold were free giveaways.
- Daniel Sedin scored on Tim Thomas. What he forgot to do, as requested by the Canucks, was run over Thomas and injure him somehow.
- Marian Gaborik scored on his own goaltender from New York, Henrik Lundqvist (twice), which was a tribute to Game 4 of the playoffs last spring.
- Dion Phaneuf hooked Steven Stamkos, which awarded Stamkos a penalty shot, this breaking the All-Star Game rule that defenseman aren't allowed to try.
- Some people criticized the NHL for picking Drake to perform in the 2nd intermission of the All-Star Game, but hey, I guess Nickelback and Bryan Adams were both unavailable...
- Tyler Seguin's alarm clock was just in time to sing along to Drake's performance.
- One team won, the other team lost the All-Star Game. Nobody really cares who, though.
- Tim Thomas won his fourth straight All-Star Game. Barack Obama did boycott the All-Star Game, by the way...
- Tim Thomas was also mugged in the parking lot after the game. This was obviously a political statement...or Sens fans who were angry that Daniel Alfredsson didn't get the hat trick.