Saturday, April 7, 2012

Hockey experts sound off on Tortorella and Clowe


I don't read minds, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's not very happy there.  Or ever.


Yesterday may have been Good Friday, but the hockey world has seen some not-so-good action over the last week.  First, Rangers coach John Tortorella ripped the Penguins organization and blasted Brooks Orpik for his knee-on-knee hit on Derek Stepan.  That cost "Torts" $20,000.  San Jose's Ryane Clowe, meanwhile, cheated a bit against the Los Angeles Kings.  No, he wasn't paid to injure anyone, but that doesn't make him a Saint.  He reached over the boards and played the puck from the bench.  Here's the reaction that wasn't from hockey experts (please note: this is not real).


Pierre McGuire

On Tortorella - John is one of the best coaches in the league, he's so good with his team.  He should at least be one of the top two or three or twenty finalists for the Jack Adams Trophy.  He's so smart with his team, Doc.
On Clowe - Ryane Clowe is an excellent player.  He's a gritty player and I think every team in the league could use someone like him, but that's just uncalled for.  He should know better than that, but Ryane Clowe is still an exceptional hockey player, Doc.


Mike Milbury

On Tortorella - Well finally someone spoke the truth!  I mean, when was someone gonna man up and tell it like it is?  I love John Tortorella.  The fact that the NHL fined him is stupid and completely idiotic.
On Clowe - There is absolutely nothing wrong with players being a little creative out there.  He helped his team, and if the refs aren't looking, hey, why not?  I wish I had told my players to do that more on Long Island.


Don Cherry

On Tortorella - LISTEN, JOHN, I LOVE YA AND EVERYTHING LIKE THAT BUT YOU CAN'T BE SAYING THAT ABOUT THA PITTSBURGH PENKWINS.  YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT BY NOW.
On Clowe - RYANE CLOWE, HERE, HE'S A GOOD ST. JOHN'S BOY FROM NEWFOUNDLAND, WHICH IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS ONTARIO, HE'S GOTTA BE SMARTA THAN THAT!  BUT HEY, THE L.A. KINGS SHOULDA TRIED TA FIGHT HIM!  THAT'LL SHOW HIM.  I HOPE THEY FIGHT HIM TODAY.


Ray Ferraro

On Tortorella - This is just stupid now.  He knows the league is already mad at him, and he continues to try to be interesting and stir up controversy.  That's just a bad decision by John Tortorella.
On Clowe - This is just stupid now.  That's just a bad decision by Ryane Clowe.  It's even more embarassing that the officials missed that.  This is a joke, what happened out there.


Al Trautwig

On Tortorella - Welcome to Nissan Rangers post-game, let's get to John Tortorella and the BRUTAL CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Clowe - Did you guys see Ryane Clowe in San Jose last night?  He must have a bulging...okay, never mind.  But seriously, what a BRUTAL CALL.


Joe Micheletti

On Tortorella - He should be able to say what he wants, Sam.  The Rangers were targetted all night by the Penguins, and now Tortorella gets the punishment?  Orpik should be suspended for 70 games.
On Clowe - Well, umm, wait, who the hell is Ryane Clowe?


Jeremy Roenick

On Tortorella - Now, hey, I like John Tortorella, I wish I could have played for a coach that had almost as much fire as I did when I was playing, but...wait, what were we talking about again?
On Clowe - I played with this guy, and I can tell you that he's completely gutless!  What kind of a stupid thing is that to do?  He's not a good teammate.


Stan Fischler

On Tortorella - I don't know why the league would do this.  John Tortorella has such a passion for the game, just like one of my friends who worked for the Range-is back in the 1950s.  He's one of the top three coaches in the league, along with Capuano and DeBoer.
On Clowe - This guy is such a gritty playa.  He reminds me of my friend who played for the Range-is in the 1960s.  He's as good as Ryan Callahan and David Clarkson and Matty Martin.