Conveniently, Ilya Kovalchuk has collected 10 game-winning goals from the time of his trade to New Jersey, in February 2010, through the end of the 2010-11 season. Why is that convenient? Well, it takes 10 parts of something to do a top-10 Down Goes Avery special, so here goes: Part 5 in the Top-10 series: Ilya Kovalchuk Game Winning goals. To enjoy them properly, we'll go in chronological order.
10. His first goal as a New Jersey Devil, #17, Ilya Kovalchuk!
Predators at Devils - 2/12/10
9. First win of the 2010-11 season with a snipe.
Devils at Sabres - 10/13/10
8. Rink-long celebration for the first home win of 2010-11.
Oilers at Devils - 11/11/10
7. First two-goal game as a Devil.
Coyotes at Devils - 12/15/10
6. Kovy gets two, but neither were shots on goal.
Devils at Canadiens - 2/6/11
5. End-to-end in Toronto
Devils at Maple Leafs - 2/10/11
4. Seeing eye wrister the next night
Sharks at Devils - 2/11/11
3. Extra horsepower breakaway
Rangers at Devils - 2/18/11
2. Defying laws of gravity
Lightning at Devils - 3/2/11
1. Koval-clutch wins another in OT
Penguins at Devils - 3/4/11
Kovalchuk now has 50 career game-winning goals, 13 of which have come in overtime during the regular season. Oh yeah, and he's only 28 years old. The 2010-11 season did not result in a playoff berth for the Devils, but is it too early to think about next season?!